Man, I was so sure that there was a trailer for the original Nier scored to White Rabbit that I spent twenty minutes this morning looking for it. Turns out it was Lost Odyssey. Also, turns out that game wasn’t that good except for the story in the cutscenes, but those were written by an actual novelist. Anyway, at least we got an okay trailer out of it all.
So, obviously this sucks, but there’s something charmingly quaint about the fact that a travelling grìfter can still flimflam a small town out of its money.
NOAM CHOMSKY EXPLAINS WHY HIS LECTURE SERIES ON THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT’S HISTORY OF INTERVENTION IN CENTRAL AMERICA IS SPONSORED BY MICHELOB ULTRA
Some of you are asking yourselves, why is a lecture from Noam Chomsky, whom the New York Times once called “the most important intellectual alive,” sponsored by Michelob Ultra? The answer is simple: I need the cash because I bought a boat . . .
No, I am not, as some joker in the front row rudely shouted out, a “fucking sell out.” I’m 88 years old, for Christ’s sake. Let me have my boat! . . . I’m one of the founders of cognitive science, for crying out loud. If I have to hawk some booze to enjoy my twilight years in the Florida Keys, then so be it . . .
How dare you say this is the worst lecture of all time? I am Noam Fucking Chomsky — I could take a dump on stage and it’d be the most insightful political commentary you’ve ever seen.
Just read the whole thing already.
You know, I could tell what I’ve been up to lately, but I think I’d rather just tell you about the greatest thing in the history of the universe, which is this Twitter account:
Just look at the material it highlights. This thing is gold. Gold!
- Captain N: The Game Master Kevin and Lana are informed that Charles Manson has escaped from prison
- Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts accidentally travels from their world to Afghanistan
- Twilight acciedentlly cast’s a perminate spell that turns her in to a lb&sc railway class e2 tank engine
- “Sometimes, I wonder where my life is headed, and all I see is this black hole of nothing.” Tails pauses, his shoulders shaking as he sobs.
- Larry the Cable Guy was right. Communism is the only justice left in this dark age! Communism is the only way to save my country
- Crazy Frog confuses everyone when he decides to join both the Bloods and the Crips.
- Dane Cook and Disturbed frontman David Draiman find out they want each other…sex happens..duh
- “Hi dad!”
“Hi son! How was your day?”
“Well, it’s pretty interesting. You’ve heard of Sonic the Hedgehog racing in NASCAR, right?”
- It’s up to the Powerpuff Girls to stop Obama
- Donald Trump begins to panic after trapping a wasp under a cup
Oh, and in case you were wondering, I’ve been working on the anime podcast project I mentioned before.
I just discovered Postmodern Jukebox and have been making my way through their videos. They take pop culture hits and reinterpret them as pieces from an older, classier age. Like Welcome to the Jungle imagined as some kind of jazzy orchestral thing accompanied by a concert harp and a cello.
I could easily imagine this playing in the background of a black and white noir film as a hard-boiled detective narrates something cynical and harsh in the foreground.
Or for something peppier, how about a soul version of Hey Ya! by Outkast? The guy behind this also did some arrangements for the alternate history game Bioshock Infinite like this blues version of Fortunate Son. Really, there’s so much to discover in the back catalogue of this group.
Great interview with the Attack on Titan guy translated into English over here. Hajime Isayama sounds like a really cool dude to hang out with. He goes on about zombie flicks and Guillermo del Toro and stuff. It’s all interesting, but some interesting-er bits were that he’s a fan of Knights of Sidonia, was influenced by Muv-Luv Alternative (which was later spun off and adapted into the anime Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken), and modelled Captain Levi after Rorschach from Watchmen. I’m not into the manga, but now I’m looking forward even more to season 2 of the show.
Also, I gotta highlight this remark:
I thought it’d be awesome to actually be a battery for machines like in The Matrix.