I finally understand the appeal of those short anime skits that you see on Crunchyroll. My understanding is that in Japan they’re quick palate cleansers wedged in between longer shows being broadcast on TV, but I could never understand why someone would seek them out on a streaming service when longer and more narratively satisfying series are just a click away.
However, they’re perfect for when you need a quick distraction, like when you’re in the subway and don’t have a consistent signal. I’ve been watching Miss Bernard Said in this way and it’s been pleasant enough. It helps that the show is about a high school book club where they mostly talk about science fiction and other genre books that I’ve already read.
I suppose that’s the other part of the format’s appeal to me: watching it requires no great intellectual effort on my part. I just turn on, tune in, and drift away. It’s nice to watch something unchallenging every now and then.
You know, I could tell what I’ve been up to lately, but I think I’d rather just tell you about the greatest thing in the history of the universe, which is this Twitter account:
Just look at the material it highlights. This thing is gold. Gold!
- Captain N: The Game Master Kevin and Lana are informed that Charles Manson has escaped from prison
- Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts accidentally travels from their world to Afghanistan
- Twilight acciedentlly cast’s a perminate spell that turns her in to a lb&sc railway class e2 tank engine
- “Sometimes, I wonder where my life is headed, and all I see is this black hole of nothing.” Tails pauses, his shoulders shaking as he sobs.
- Larry the Cable Guy was right. Communism is the only justice left in this dark age! Communism is the only way to save my country
- Crazy Frog confuses everyone when he decides to join both the Bloods and the Crips.
- Dane Cook and Disturbed frontman David Draiman find out they want each other…sex happens..duh
- “Hi dad!”
“Hi son! How was your day?”
“Well, it’s pretty interesting. You’ve heard of Sonic the Hedgehog racing in NASCAR, right?”
- It’s up to the Powerpuff Girls to stop Obama
- Donald Trump begins to panic after trapping a wasp under a cup
Oh, and in case you were wondering, I’ve been working on the anime podcast project I mentioned before.